I love cooking with asparagus because it’s easy to prepare and doesn’t need a lot of ingredients. I like that its creamy flavor can shine by itself. It’s also an excellent source of vitamins, iron, protein and fiber. When it’s in season, I prepare it at least once a week. If you are buying asparagus, I recommend picking the ones that are of medium thickness. Stay away from the very thick or very skinny ones.
In this recipe, fresh asparagus spears are “blistered” in olive oil. It’s super easy, super fast and does not need many other ingredients – just oil, salt and pepper. This way, it highlights the natural succulent flavor of asparagus. In eight minutes it cooks just crisp tender and perfect. That’s how I like my vegetables – not mushy. It’s a quick side dish for fish, chicken, beef or pork dishes.
Make the Blistered Asparagus
To prepare the asparagus, you will need about a pound (usually a bundle) of fresh asparagus. Begin by cutting the tough ends in the bottom about one inch. Next, wash the asparagus and dry it well with paper towels. Then heat up some olive oil in a skillet. Cook the asparagus in olive oil for three to four minutes. At this time, keep a close eye on. Don’t walk away now because it can burn easily. Roll it over and cook for another three to four minutes. The lasting to do is season it lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.
The next time you find asparagus in the supermarket or farmer’s market, try it and make this easy dish. It cooks really fast. You also don’t need a lot of ingredients to cook with it. What a perfect side dish for weekday meals when you don’t have a lot of time to cook!
Quick Asparagus Recipe
- 1 bundle asparagus washed and dried with paper towel
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut off 1 inch from the ends of asparagus. Heat up oil in nonstick pan to medium/high.
- When oil is hot, drop asparagus slowly in the pan. Make sure all of the asparagus fit flat on the bottom of the pan. Let cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip it with a spatula or tongs, or shake the pan to make them roll over. You will see little brown "blister" spots on the asparagus. Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip it again and let cook for 1 minute. Serve warm.