This melon arugula salad is something you can easily make on those hot summer days. It is a light, cold and refreshing lunch or side dish.
Summer and melons are synonymous. Now is the time when there is a wider variety of juicy melons. Why not make use of the different varieties of melons available now?
Melons come in various shapes, colors and flavors. For this recipe I used two melon varieties – Cantaloupe and Del Mar. Other varieties such as honeydew and Hanmi will also work together well with cantaloupe. I like mixing two different colors of melons together because it’s more appealing. Pick ripe melons that are fragrant when you smell it.
For the base of this simple salad I use peppery arugula but you can also use spring greens if you prefer.
The minty dressing in this melon salad is a combination of lemon, mint, olive oil, salt and pepper. Chopped mint offers a cooling flavor to the dressing. The grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of lemon give that fresh flavor to the salad. If you can find Meyer lemon it is the best one to use.
I love making this melon arugula salad when it’s too hot and I don’t particularly like to cook. It is best served when the melons, cucumber and greens are pre-chilled in the refrigerator. So I suggest make the dressing and set it aside until you are ready to serve. Oh and add a bit more mint leaves and melon flowers on the top as garnish.Try it!
|Prep Time||15 mins.|
- 1/4 of a cantaloupe sliced
- 1/4 of honeydew or Del Mar melon cut into balls
- 2 handfuls of baby arugula
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped mint +more for garnish
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl combine lemon juice, lemon zest, chopped mint, a little bit of salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then into quarters. Slice the quarters 1/8 inch thick. Slice the cantaloupe melon and cut them 1/8 inch thick. Use a melon baller to cut the honeydew. Set aside melons and cucumber in the refrigerator.
- In a platter arrange 2 handfuls of baby arugula. Add the melons and cucumber on top. Drizzle dressing on top. Garnish with more mint leaves on top.