This giant chocolate pecan cookies are one of my favorites. I like them still warm from the oven. It’s perfect when baked crispy on the edges and still a little soft on the center. If you’re looking for a cookie that will satisfy your craving, this is it.
The cookie dough is so buttery that it spreads well while baking. Bittersweet baking chocolate is the best to use here. When you chop it, you will have big and small chunks, and some tiny shavings that will all add to the flavor. Crispy chopped pecans also compliment the buttery flavor of the cookies.
When baking the cookies, I use a large aluminum baking sheet and no silicone liners. For easy cleanup, I line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. Also, the aluminum foil helps in crisping the edges faster while the center is still a little soft. To refrigerate the cookie dough, I placed them in a half baking sheet lined with parchment so they don’t stick.
Because I enjoy these chocolate pecan cookies still warm I don’t bake them all at once. I keep them refrigerated or in the freezer and just bake a few at a time. It’s best when they are freshly baked. If you try baking it, you will know why.
The giant size of these cookies is perfect for one person. It will probably prevent you from eating another one because it’s so big! That is, if you can resist.
These chocolate pecan cookies will be good for baking any day or included in your Christmas cookie list. Also it’s good for parties and gift giving. Try it and enjoy it with tea or coffee.
Giant Chocolate Chunk Pecan Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup choped pecans
- 6 oz. bitter baking chocolate chopped into chunks (Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp water
- Cream butter using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Add sugars and mix together. Scrape the sides and mix again. Add in egg, vanilla and water. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt and baking soda. On low speed, add this mixture gradually in 3 batches to the butter mixture. Scrape the sides and mix again on medium speed until well combined. Stir in pecans and chocolate chunks.
- Line a half baking sheet with parchment paper. Use an ice cream scoop and scoop cookie batter and place them in the lined baking sheet. Makes 12 rounded scoops. Cover loosely with another piece of parchment paper. Refrigerate cookie dough for at least 30 minutes or more.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil. Place only 4 cookie scoops on 1 baking sheet diagonally (as in photo above). Keep the rest of the cookie dough refrigerated while baking a batch. Make sure they are about 4 inches apart. Bake cookies in the middle rack in the preheated oven for 18 minutes. It will appear golden brown on the sides and still a little soft in the center. When done, transfer baking sheet onto a rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Then remove cookies with a flat spatula onto the rack to cool completely. Take the other large cookie sheet and bake 4 more cookies. Repeat process with the last 4 cookies using the first baking sheet. Store cookies in air tight container.