Holiday chocolate treats. They are everywhere. Although I love chocolate and cookies, I also make these chocolate dipped apricots and trail mix bark as a healthier option. Because they’re sturdy and keep well, they’re perfect for snacking or as edible gifts. Above all, there is no baking required, no added sugar, and it’s super easy to make.
So all it takes is melting the chocolate (50% dark, 50% semi-sweet). I also added a bit of cinnamon for flavor. Of course, for those who just love pure chocolate flavor, it can be omitted. Most importantly, keep the chocolate over the warm pot of water even after turning the heat off.
For the trail mix bark, just use half of the melted chocolate. Next, pour 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate on the lined baking sheet. Use the back of the measuring spoon to spread the chocolate evenly into a round shape. Then, quickly sprinkle the trail mix over the chocolate.
For the apricots, choose bigger well-shaped dried apricots. First, dip the apricots in the remaining half of the melted chocolate covering 3/4 of the fruit. Next, lay it on the lined baking sheet. Then transfer the baking sheets in the refrigerator to set for 15 minutes.
Chocolate Dipped Apricots and Trail Mix Bark
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips at least 60% cacao
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup trail mix (with roasted nuts, cranberries, fruit)
- ½ lb dried whole apricots
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Line 2 large baking sheets with Silpat or parchment paper. Over medium heat, let water simmer in a small pot. When water starts to simmer, lower heat. Place all the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl and set it on top of simmering water. (Water shouldn't touch the bottom of the bowl) Let chocolate melt, stirring a few times until smooth. Add cinnamon and stir again. Turn off heat.
- For the trail mix bark: Pour 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate onto the lined baking sheet. Use the back of the spoon to quickly spread the chocolate evenly into a round shape. Then quickly sprinkle the trail mix over the chocolate. Repeat process and make 12 rounds. Transfer baking sheet in the refrigerator to set for 15 minutes.
- For the apricots: Dip each dried apricot in the remaining half of the melted chocolate. Lay it on the lined baking sheet. This will make about 24 dipped apricots.Transfer baking sheet in the refrigerator to set for 15 minutes.
- Store in covered container lined with wax paper or parchment paper.