Here is a winter salad that makes good use of clementines (or mandarins) and pomegranate in season right now. Plump and sweet clementines add such bright hues and flavor while pomegranate gives you a burst of juicy tang in every bite.
Every winter you probably see clementines and pomegranate show up frequently in the markets. I prefer the darker orange Satzuma mandarins that are really sweet and are easy to peel. At a price of $0.79 cents a pound how can you not? Here in California, we also have the Cuties variety which are awesome.
Lucky me I have a pomegranate and a Meyer lemon tree in the backyard. I enjoy them so much this time of the year! After picking I love putting them in bowls on the countertop and dining table. It just adds color to the house in the winter.
For the salad greens I use prewashed and prebagged mixed baby greens. You can mix any greens you want such as arugula, a variety of lettuces and spinach.
As for the dressing, it’s a simple Meyer lemon juice and olive oil mixture that highlights the individual flavor of the ingredients. I add a little of Dijon mustard just because I love French dressing. A bit of honey balances all the flavors out.
What I love about this appealing winter salad is its refreshing taste, so perfect for entertaining this holiday season. It sort of cleans your palate and washes away all the richness of holiday food.
|Prep Time||15 mins.|
- 6 oz. mixed baby greens
- 3 seedless clementines (mandarins) Satzuma or Cuties
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate arils
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 5 small radishes sliced
- Peel clementines and pull some of the white veins off. Use a serrated knife and slice it horizontally. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper. Add olive oil gradually while whisking until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Arrange salad baby greens on a platter. Top with clementine slices. Sprinkle pomegranate arils all over the top. When ready to serve add dressing and toss together.