Every summer season I look forward to making this vegetable frittata. When my zucchini and tomato plants are bursting with fruit, this is one way I enjoy them. For something so fresh, I keep it simple and let their natural flavor and sweetness shine.
Certainly all the fresh flavors of summer are in this dish with superfoods like tomatoes, basil, zucchini, green onions and bell pepper. What a perfect substitute for plain fried egg or omelette! Then freshly grated fontina cheese adds the essential creamy flavor.
The secret to a perfect frittata is controlling the heat and keeping an eye on it. Because it cooks in about ten minutes, it’s not hard to swing that.
An oven-proof stainless steel pan or nonstick pan is my choice to use for this dish. Moreover, heating the butter first and swirling it around prevents sticking.
For breakfast or brunch, I like to serve this frittata with buttered toast. For a light dinner, a green salad will be perfect with it.
Summer Vegetable Frittata with Fontina
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 1 small zucchini halved, then sliced 1/8 inch thick
- ½ cup grape tomatoes halved
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup red or orange bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp half & half or milk
- 2 chopped fresh basil leaves plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fontina cheese freshly grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat broiler to low with rack about 4-5 inches away from flame.
- Meanwhile, heat a 10-inch pan (stainless steel or nonstick) on medium/high. When it is hot, place butter in the pan, Swirl it around to coat bottom and up 1/2 inch around the edges. When butter is bubbly, add olive oil. Add sliced zucchini and diced bell pepper. Mix it and let it cook for 3 mins. Mix in the green onions and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Season with 1/8 tsp of salt and 3 grinds (about 1/8 tsp) of freshly ground pepper.
- Lower the heat on the pan to medium. Whisk the eggs and half & half together. Season it with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper. Pour egg mixture into the pan. Sprinkle chopped basil, then fontina cheese on top. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes until the sides are set. Then transfer the pan into the preheated broiler. Let broil for 2 minutes. Take it out and garnish with small basil leaves on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with buttered toasts or green salad.