I love turnovers because you can put any filling you like and it cooks really fast. I like to make both sweet and savory turnovers. For a sweet turnover, you can put any fruit preserves and sweetened cream cheese. A ham and cheese filling with caramelized onions will make a delicious savory turnover. It’s an easy, grab-and-go type of hand pie.
Make the Turnovers
To make this sweet berry turnovers, I use store-bought puff pastry. Let it thaw for twenty minutes until it is soft enough to unroll. While the puff pastry is thawing, you can make the filling. The filling is a mixture of sweetened cream cheese and berry preserves. I use strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry preserves for this recipe.
Combine the sugar and cream cheese and whisk it until smooth. Then prepare an egg wash by beating one beaten egg and one teaspoon of water.
Before you unroll the dough, it is important to lay parchment paper on the counter and dust it lightly with flour. This will ensure that the pastry won’t stick. Carefully unroll the pastry on the floured parchment paper. If you get a rectangle (10 x 15 inches) puff pastry, just cut it into a square. If you get a square, that’s perfect. I use a fluted pastry wheel to cut the pastry but you can also use a knife.
Use a rolling pin to flatten the pastry, there is no need to stretch it bigger.
Cut the square puff pastry into eight equal portions. Then spoon about a teaspoon each of the berry preserve and cream cheese mixture on the pastry. After that, brush the two edges with the egg wash. Fold it over and crimp the edges together with a fork to seal it.
Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash and prick the center with a fork to let it steam. These turnovers are then baked at 425 degrees for twenty-five minutes.
Turnovers are so versatile and easy to make. Try it for dessert or as a snack.
Turnovers with Berry and Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 frozen puff pastry thawed
- ½ block of cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water
- blueberry, raspberry, strawberry preserves for filling
- flour for dusting
- Let puff pasty thaw for 20 minutes or until soft enough to unroll. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the cream cheese and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on the counter. Dust it lightly with flour. Carefully unroll the pastry on the parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to flatten pastry until it is smooth.
- Dip knife or fluted pastry wheel in flour before cutting pastry. Cut the dough into a big square. Cut that square into 8 equal parts.
- Spoon a teaspoon each of berry preserves and cream cheese mixture on the pastry. Brush 2 edges with egg wash. Rub flour on your hands before touching the dough. Fold edges over and crimp it with a fork to seal it. Brush the top with egg wash. Use a fork to prick holes on the center to let it steam. Rub flour on your hands and transfer each turnover to lined baking sheet. Bake it in the oven at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.