Meet your new quick and easy weekday/weeknight meal – spicy tuna avocado wrap. So easy to make when you want a quick bite. You know how we all have those hectic days when we just don’t have time to cook?
Healthful spinach, celery and avocado add fresh-from-the- garden flavors to the wrap. A little zip comes from the chili garlic sauce and mustard that brightens everything.
I love to use solid canned tuna in olive oil such as Genova Tonno from Italy for better texture and flavor. You can easily find these in supermarkets as albacore or yellow-fin tuna. I just make sure I drain them while chopping the veggies.
Use large tortillas in whole wheat or spinach flavor to fit all the ingredients. There are so many varieties of tortillas to try these days. In fact I’m thinking of trying the rosemary or tomato and herb flavor. Hmmm…. sounds yummy.
One tip though, try not to cut and slice the avocado until the end when you need them. As you know, they quickly turn brown right after cutting them.
So try this tuna avocado wrap recipe now, or switch it up with chopped cilantro (coriander) and add chopped hard boiled egg in the mix. End this quick meal with a bowl of fresh fruit salad and you’re good to go.
Spicy Tuna Avocado Wrap
- 1 5 oz. can solid tuna in olive oil drained
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 handfuls spinach
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small avocado
- 2 large whole wheat or spinach tortilla
- In a small bowl mix together tuna, spring onion, celery, chili garlic sauce, mustard and mayo. Season with a little freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
- (This step is OPTIONAL*) Prepare a nonstick pan on low heat. Warm each tortilla in a pan on low heat for about 6-8 seconds on each side. Transfer each tortilla onto a plate.
- Spread half of tuna mixture on each tortilla, leaving 1/2 inch space on the edges. Arrange spinach leaves on top of tuna, covering just half portion of tortilla.
- Slice the avocado thinly to about 1/8 inch thick. Arrange avocado slices next to the spinach,, covering the other half of the tortilla. Roll it gently to fold 3 times. Cut wrap in half and serve immediately.