These luscious salmon cakes are so easy to make. It is a good alternative to traditional crab cakes. In my neck of the woods, crab can be very expensive because it comes from back east. Salmon is a good option as it is rich in omega fatty acids and a great source of protein. Here it is served with tender spring greens and lemon aioli. For the lemon aioli I substituted mayo for the raw egg yolks. It is perfect served at lunch or at anytime. If you are entertaining, serve it on a platter on a bed of tender spring greens.
Salmon Cakes with Tender Greens and Lemon Aioli
- 1 can 14oz of pink salmon drained and picked over for bones
- 2 green onions green and white part, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup mayonnaise + 1/2 cup for dip
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp Sambal Oelek chili paste + 1/4 tsp for dip
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper + more for aioli
- 1 bag 7oz tender spring greens
- 2 lemons for aioli and for serving
- olive oil for frying and dressing
- Drain salmon and place it in a bowl. Pick out any bone bits and discard bones.
- Add green onions, red bell pepper, eggs, mayo, salt, pepper and chili paste. Mix together with a fork.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs to the salmon mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Place the other 1/2 cup breadcrumbs in a dish. Make about 8 balls of mixture and flatten them with your hands (about 1/8 inch thick). Coat each salmon patties with breadcrumbs and place them in the lined baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan on medium/high heat. (put oil just enough to cover the bottom of pan). Fry salmon cakes in batches, about 4 minutes on one side. Flip it then cook another 3-4 mins.
- For the lemon aioli: Mix 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp chili paste, 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper in a bowl.
- For the tender greens: Serve with salmon cakes and lemon slices. Drizzle greens with olive oil and lemon juice to taste.