I find asparagus everywhere these spring season at the market. When they are in season, there are so many ways we can cook with it. Chopped asparagus is so good in frittata, omelette, pasta and quiche. When stir-fried with other vegetables it is so tasty. Some people like it quickly sauteed with olive oil, salt and pepper. One of my favorite things to do is grill asparagus along with meat or salmon. This way, everything cooks quickly and no pan to wash. The other thing I like to do is quickly roast asparagus on high heat in the oven for just ten minutes. Yes, only ten minutes!
Prepare the Roasted Asparagus
To make the roasted asparagus, cut about one inch off the tough bottoms of the asparagus and discard it. Wash the asparagus and dry it well with paper towels. Then line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Lay the asparagus on the sheet pan. To add flavor to the asparagus, drizzle it lightly with olive oil. Use tongs or your hands to roll it over so all the asparagus is coated with olive oil. After that, top it with minced garlic. Then season it with salt and pepper. Roast the asparagus in the oven for 10 minutes. I suggest to set a timer on this. After ten minutes, quickly remove the asparagus and transfer it to a platter. The last thing to do is sprinkle it with freshly grated parmesan cheese while it’s hot. You can add as much parmesan cheese as you like. You can’t go wrong with more cheese!
I hope you try cooking with asparagus this season. Savor its creamy, delicate flavor in any way you prepare it. It’s so quick and easy to prepare. This delicious side dish is the perfect addition to any main course.
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic and Parmesan
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the tough bottoms of the asparagus about 1 inch. Wash asparagus and dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Lay the asparagus on the sheet pan. Drizzle it with olive oil. Roll it over using tongs to coat all sides. Add garlic on top. Sprinkle it 2 small pinches of salt and 3 grinds of pepper. Bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. Set a timer to not overcook it.
- After 10 minutes, take asparagus out of the oven. Transfer it to a platter. Top it with freshly grated parmesan cheese.