Roast Chicken is a staple in our home when the whole family gathers around the table for dinner. In this recipe, the chicken is roasted with vegetables like carrots, onion, and potatoes (or sweet potatoes). The Tuscan flavor comes from garlic, lemon, and rosemary.
Here, I use a big sheet pan to roast everything. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil to save on clean-up time. I love that once you put it in the oven, you can leave it roasting and you can relax or do some other chore. I use chicken thighs and drumsticks with the skin and bones. The multi-colored carrots that are everywhere these days are perfect to use here too.
Make the Roast Chicken
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While that is going, you can rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry them with paper towels. Chop the garlic, onion, carrots, potatoes and 1 lemon. Take out the lemon seeds by poking it with a knife tip. Then lay the chicken pieces on the lined baking sheet leaving room for the vegetables in between them. You can fit 8 pieces of chicken on the sheet pan.
Sprinkle the chopped garlic all over the sheet pan. Add the onion, carrots, potatoes and lemon slices and spread it around the chicken. Pull off the rosemary leaves from the sprig and sprinkle them on top of chicken and vegetables. Take one piece of chopped garlic and a few rosemary leaves from the sheet pan and place them on top of each chicken piece. Using the half lemon, squeeze the juice on each chicken piece.
Drizzle everything with olive oil and season it with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Place the sheet pan in the oven and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes. On the last 10 minutes, baste the chicken with the juices on the pan using a silicone brush and finish roasting. When ready, the chicken skin should be slightly crispy and brown as in picture below.
This roast chicken is definitely one of my family’s favorite comfort food. It’s easy to make and delicious with a crusty bread and green salad. I hope it becomes a keeper in your house too.
One Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables-Tuscan Style
- 4 chicken thighs with skin and bones
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 large onion sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and sliced lengthwise into thirds
- 3 carrots peeled and cut 1 1/4 inches long
- 3 medium potatoes cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lemon cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick, then seeded
- ½ lemon for squeezing
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs each about 2-3 inches long
- olive oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the chicken pieces with running water and pat dry them with paper towels. Rinse the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Peel and slice the onion and garlic cloves. Peel the carrots and cut them on a bias to 1 1/4 inches long. Cut the potatoes (with the skin on) in half lengthwise and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Cut 1 lemon in half lengthwise and slice 1/4 inch thick. Poke lemon seeds out with a knife tip. Save the other lemon half for later. Set vegetables aside.
- Line a large baking sheet pan with aluminum foil long enough to cover the 2 short sides of the pan. Press the foil over the sides. Fold up the long sides of the foil about 1/4 inch to contain the pan drippings. Place chicken pieces on the sheet pan leaving room for vegetables in between them.
- Spread chopped garlic all over the pan. Do the same step with the onion, carrots, potatoes and lemon slices. Pull the rosemary leaves off the sprig and sprinkle it on top of chicken and vegetables. Drizzle everything with olive oil. Sprinkle everything with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to your taste.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes. On the last 10 minutes, baste the chicken with the juices on the pan using a silicone brush and finish roasting. The skin should be slightly crispy and brown. (Start checking after 1 hour as every oven is different)