This apple slaw is one of the things I like to make when I have a lot of apples on the counter. The Gala apples I used were from this weekend when we went apple picking in Solvang. There is nothing better than picking your own apples from a tree. The apples are so sweet and crunchy. The sweet and crunchy apples blends well here with crunchy purple cabbage, spicy radish and tangy lime juice. This is a great side salad that goes perfectly well with any meat. You can even top your tacos or pulled pork sandwich with it.
Picking a sweet and crispy apple variety is important for a crunchy slaw. I use Gala or Fuji Apple, green onion, purple cabbage, small red radishes, cilantro, olive oil and lime juice. The seasoning is simply kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. I cut the apple, radishes and cabbage in match sticks. The green onions are sliced in a bias. The best part is, there is no mayo in this slaw. What a healthy slaw!
Make the Apple Slaw
First, core the apple and slice it into match sticks. Next, slice the purple cabbage and radishes the same way. Chop the green onions thinly in a bias. Coarsely chop the cilantro. Then, place the apples, radishes, cabbage, green onions and cilantro in a bowl. squeeze the juice of one lime over the vegetables. Season it with salt and freshly ground pepper and adjust it to your taste. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving. Letting it rest allows for the all the flavors to blend. How easy is that?
I like to serve this apple slaw with grilled meat or carnitas tacos. It’s also delicious as a topping for pulled pork sandwich. All you need is Margarita, Sangria or ice-cold beer and oh what a perfect meal!
Rainbow Apple Slaw with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 apple, Gala or Fuji cored and sliced in m match sticks
- 1 cup purple cabbage sliced in match sticks
- 6 red radish sliced in match sticks
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped in a bias (white and green parts)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Core the apple (leave the skin on) and slice it into match sticks. Slice the purple cabbage and radishes the same way. Chop the green onions in a bias. Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Transfer the apple, radishes, cabbage and green onions into a bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the vegetables. Season it with salt and freshly ground pepper. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving.