This easy and simple penne pasta recipe came about last summer when I had an abundance of zucchini from my garden. I gave some zucchini to my neighbors and family. They really enjoyed cooking and eating fresh vegetables. I used it in my salads and baked bread with it. I was craving pasta so I thought of using it in a pasta dish. Then I made this dish and pasta primavera. I love making pasta this way because it’s a whole meal in a plate. The best part is it cooks in fifteen minutes!
I enjoy the traditional pasta dishes with red sauce but sometimes I like to change it up. Adding fresh vegetables adds a pack of nutrients to the dish. Zucchini contains vitamins, magnesium, folate, potassium, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium and protein. When choosing zucchini, pick the ones that are 4-6 inches inches in length. As they get bigger, they get tougher and the flavor is not as sweet. Shrimp is also a good source of protein.
The succulent shrimp and fresh zucchini here combines well with the light white sauce. For the white sauce, I added half and half for a creamy flavor. When I mix it with the parmiggiano reggiano and beaten eggs it’s almost like carbonara which I really enjoy. Try to get the real parmiggiano reggiano from Italy. They are readily available now at supermarkets where they sell for about $6 a wedge. I think that is a reasonable price. I promise you will find that it taste better!
Try this penne pasta recipe for a quick week night dinner. It’s easy and simple to make and nutritious. Sometimes I substitute fettuccine or linguine for the pasta here. You can even use spaghetti if you like. Enjoy it with a glass of your favorite dry white wine!
Penne with Shrimp and Zucchini
- 8 oz. penne or fettuccine
- ½ onion diced
- 2 medium zucchini cut in strips
- 1 lb shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese + more for serving
- 2 sprigs of italian parsley chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Boil Water in a pot on high heat. When it starts to boil, drop pasta with some salt and mix. Let pasta cook for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add in onions and let cook for 2-3 mins. until translucent.
- Add zucchini and shrimp to the skillet. Mix it in and let cook for 5 mins.
- Add half & half, beaten eggs, and cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix it in and let cook for 1 minute. (The hot pasta will cook the eggs). Top with more grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.