Peach cobbler is one of my favorite summer desserts. Actually I love peaches period. I use peaches in both savory and sweet dishes when it’s in season. Lucky me, I have a peach tree in my backyard that gives us the sweetest, juiciest fruit.
To make the peach cobbler, it is important to pick firm ripe peaches. That means not too soft and not too hard, with a sweet fragrance when you smell it. It should also give a little when you gently press on the skin next to the stem. If you use soft peaches, the cobbler would be too soggy and mushy. I save the soft peaches to make jam.
As for flavorings, I really like the simple flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg. Just a little bit of both will keep the natural flavors of peaches to come out and not over power it. A little flour is added to the filling mix and that makes the juices thick.
Traditional peach cobbler has a pastry topping that covers the peach filling. What I did is make a pastry that comes out almost like a shortcake. It is slightly sweet, crunchy on top and soft underneath. This is just perfect when served with vanilla ice cream, especially when it’s freshly baked and still warm.
When you bake it at 375ºF for 50 minutes, it comes out perfect. And that’s using my oven, but some ovens might be different. The best thing to do is set the oven at 375ºF and check it at 50 minutes. The cobbler should be bubbly and the topping perfectly golden brown.
There’s something about summer that makes me dream of peaches. I look forward to eating fresh peaches or adding them to savory dishes. Is there anything better than peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream on a hot summer day?
- 6 firm ripe peaches sliced
- ⅔ cup sugar for filling
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for pastry
- 2 Tbps all-purpose flour for filling
- ⅓ cup sugar for pastry
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 9-inch pie dish. Make the pastry: In a bowl use a fork to combine 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 large egg and 4 Tbsp softened butter. When dough comes together, divide it into 2 equal parts. Form 3 balls out of each part, making 6 total balls. Set bowl aside.
- For filling: In another bowl mix together 2/3 cups sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 2 Tbsp flour. Set aside. Peel peaches and remove the pit. Slice each peach into 8-10 slices. Add sliced peaches to flour and spice mixture and mix well. Transfer peach filling onto the buttered pie dish. Drizzle top with 1 Tbsp honey.
- Take each dough ball and gently flatten it with your hands. Arrange dough balls on top of peach filling. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 mins. until it is bubbly and the pastry on top is golden brown. When it's ready let cool slightly on a rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream.