What else can you make with all the peaches and blueberries in season this summer? These individual size peach and blueberry crisp is a celebration of the best flavors of summer. It’s a delicious dessert that goes well with vanilla ice cream. It’s definitely one of my absolute favorite summer desserts. It’s fruity, sweet, crunchy and nutty.
Make the Peach Blueberry Crisp
This recipe makes four individual sized crisps. I used four ceramic tart dishes that are about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Each crisp is also perfect for sharing with people who like a little taste of dessert but can’t eat the whole serving. You will need about two peaches and about half of a peach goes into each mini tart dish. Adding fresh blueberries makes for a great combination of flavors. It even gets better with the crispy topping made of oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, flour, almonds and butter. Because of the smaller size the crisp will bake in less time for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
We had a beautiful peach tree in our backyard for twenty years until it got knocked down by strong winds. I dearly loved that tree especially in July when all the plump and sweet fruit are ready to be picked. It was one of those things that we look forward to every summer. I was sad when we lost the peach tree because we planted it ourselves with our own hands. Then last fall I decided to plant a new peach tree. I will be looking forward to peaches from this new tree next summer.
I hope you take advantage of peaches and blueberries in season this summer and make this delicious crisp. It’s very easy to make and does not require a pie crust. It also cooks faster than a pie and has less sugar than most desserts. It’s a great dessert to bake for your family or for a party.
Peach Blueberry Crisp with Almonds
- 2 fresh peaches pitted and sliced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ⅓ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour + 1 Tablespoon
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg divided
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- ¼ cup raw sliced almonds
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter + more for greasing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter the 4 ceramic tart dishes (about 4 1/2 inches in diameter). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut peaches in half. Remove the pit. Slice each half into 8 pieces.
- In a bowl mix together granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp flour, and half of the nutmeg. Add peaches and blueberries. Mix it with a rubber spatula until fruit is coated well. Arrange 8 peach slices in each tart dish. Then add blueberries on top.
- Make the topping: In a bowl mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and the rest of the nutmeg. Cut in the 3 Tbsp butter with a fork until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the almonds. Sprinkle topping on top of fruit.
- Place all 4 crisps on the lined cookie sheet and bake it in the oven for 35 minutes until it is bubbly and the topping is crisp.
- Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.