I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love pasta. It is so easy to make that you can have a meal ready in 15 minutes. With just a few ingredients it comes out tasty and so satisfying to eat. One of my favorite pasta dishes to make is spaghetti with bacon and tomatoes. I know, right? Anything with bacon is always good!
This recipe was inspired by BLT without the lettuce. The ingredients are few and simple. All you need is spaghetti, bacon, mini heirloom tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and red chili flakes. A little bit of half and half and grated parmiggiano-reggiano cheese give the pasta a slightly creamy flavor. If you can’t find mini heirloom tomatoes, by all means substitute it with grape tomatoes. I love the mini heirloom tomatoes because they’re colorful and each single tomato has a unique flavor. It’s like a party in your mouth.
Make the Pasta with Bacon and Tomatoes
Prepare the tomatoes by washing and drying them with paper towels. Next, cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and set it aside. Then boil some water in a large pot for the pasta. When it comes to boil, add spaghetti and salt and mix it with a pasta fork. Let the pasta cook for about 9 minutes until al dente. While that is cooking, heat up a saute pan on medium/high heat. Add the chopped bacon in the pan and cook it until brown, flipping once. After the bacon cooks, transfer it on a paper towel to drain the fat.
Remove the bacon fat out of the pan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Turn down the heat to medium and add the garlic and red chili flakes. After 15 seconds the garlic will start to smell fragrant. Add the tomatoes and season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Remember the cheese will be salty later so go light on the salt. Let it cook for 3 minutes. Add the half and half and let cook for another minute. Drain the pasta and add it into the pan. Mix it all together. Sprinkle it with parmiggiano cheese and top it with bacon pieces. Adjust the seasoning at this time.
If you love pasta you will love this recipe. It cooks really fast and fills up your belly when you are really hungry. Enjoy it with a glass of your favorite wine!
Pasta with Crispy Bacon and Tomatoes
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups mini heirloom tomatoes cut in half crosswise
- 5 strips of thick-cut bacon chopped 1/2 inch
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- pinch of red chili flakes or to taste
- 1 cup half & half
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmiggiano reggiano cheese + more for serving
- 4 basil leaves for topping
- Boil some water in a large pot on high heat. When it comes to boil, add salt and spaghetti into the pot. Stir with a pasta fork and let it cook for 11 minutes until al dente.
- Heat a saute pan on medium/high heat. Add bacon in and let cook until brown. After bacon cooks let it drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Discard bacon fat from the pan and replace it with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Turn down heat to medium. Cook the garlic and chili flakes in oil for 15 seconds until it's fragrant. Stir it once.
- Add the tomatoes into the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes. Season it lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the half and half and stir it once. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Drain the spaghetti and add it into the pan. Add the cheese and stir together. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. Top it with bacon pieces and chopped basil. Serve immediately with a bit more cheese on top.