As the weather is cooling down, most people (like me) are craving for something hearty and comforting like this healthy chicken chili soup. Packed with so many vegetables and beans, it is rich in fiber. It will definitely keep you full and not feel hungry for a few hours.
One large pot is all you need to cook this easy and delicious chili. First, the onion, carrots, celery, green bell pepper and garlic are sautéed in olive oil. Next, in goes the tomatoes, chicken broth, spices, cilantro and chicken breasts. Of course a little salt and pepper is essential for seasoning. Then bring it to a boil and slowly simmer for 25 minutes. Finally at the end, the corn, beans and zucchini are mixed in and let cook for another 10 minutes.
After that, take out the chicken breast and pull it apart with 2 forks or use a knife to cut it into thin bite size pieces. Drop the chicken back into the pot. At serving time you can garnish it with more cilantro leaves.
What I love about using fresh corn kernels here is it balances out the acidity of the tomatoes and the spicy flavor of the chili powder. Serve the chili in bowls by itself, or with a side of crusty bread, tortilla chips or corn bread.
One Pot Mexican Chicken Chili Soup
- 1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 ear fresh corn kernels
- 1 15 oz can of pinto, black, or red beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 sprigs of fresh cilantro (coriander)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Peel carrot and cut lengthwise in quarters. Chop the carrot quarters to 1/4 thick and set aside. Cut the zucchini the same way.
- In a large pot, heat oil to medium-high. Add onion, carrots, celery and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and let cook for 10 seconds. Add tomatoes, chicken, broth, spices and 4 sprigs of cilantro. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper to your taste. Stir everything. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. When it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 mins.
- Stir in beans and corn. Cover and let boil on high heat. When it boils, reduce heat to medium and simmer for another 10 mins., At the last 5 mins. add the zucchini, cover and let it cook until tender. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Turn off heat and take out chicken. Cut chicken into thin bite size pieces or pull it apart using 2 forks. Add chicken pieces back into the pot.
- Serve warm with a garnish of cilantro leaves on top.