Summer season has just began here in California and I am craving for grilled shrimp tacos. Because shrimp cooks fast, it’s one of the easiest meals to prepare. The tangy cabbage slaw topping cuts through the richness of the shrimp and serves like the salsa.
If you are avoiding dairy, you will love the creamy smashed avocado smeared on the warm corn tortilla. It replaces sour cream and cheese in this taco. So, you won’t miss them, I promise!
Tips for Making the Grilled Shrimp Tacos
I’ve discovered a great new tortilla at Trader Joe’s and it is called Corn +Wheat tortillas. With all the stuff you load up on a taco, these soft tortillas hold up pretty well and does not break easily. Also, you will like the 14 grams of fiber in each serving.
Marinate the shrimp for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the cabbage slaw. Then, wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and let it warm in the oven at 350F degrees while you work on the avocados. Take it out when you are ready to assemble the tacos.
I highly recommend margarita with these tacos.
|Prep Time||20 mins.|
|Cook Time||3 mins.|
- 1 lb large shrimp (21-25 count) shelled and deveined
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced, divided
- 1/4 tp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 5 small radish thinly diced
- 3 green onions chopped, divided
- 5 grape tomatoes chopped
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 lime cut in wedges for serving
- 8 corn wheat tortillas
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper seeded, finely diced, divided
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper sliced for serving
- For the shrimp: Mix olive oil, garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper in a bowl. Then add shrimp and stir together. Let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- For the cabbage slaw: In a large bowl combine shredded cabbage, radish, 2 chopped green onions, tomatoes, 1/2 of diced jalapeño pepper, 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro, 1 minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and juice of 1/2 lime. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F degrees. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil, making sure you fold and seal the edges. Transfer it in a small baking sheet and place it in the oven to keep warm. Take it out when ready to assemble tacos.
- For the avocados: Cut the avocados and take out seeds. Score it with knife to make small cubes. Scoop flesh out with a spoon and place it in a bowl. Squeeze juice of 1/2 lime over the avocados. Smash avocado with a fork. Add in 1 minced garlic, 1 chopped green onion, 1/2 of diced jalapeño, 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper. Mix together until blended. Cover and set aside.
- Heat a stove top cast iron grill pan on medium/high. Brush it with a little cooking oil to avoid sticking. Grill shrimp for 1 minute. Flip it over and cook for another minute. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Assemble the tacos: Spread a dollop of smashed avocado on half of the tortilla. Place 4 shrimp on top of avocado. Top with 2 Tbsp cabbage slaw. Repeat process with the rest of the tacos. Serve with hot sauce, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño, and more chopped cilantro.