When spring jumpstarts the grilling season, there is nothing simpler to make than these quick-and-easy but oh so SAVORY shrimp skewers. It cooks fast, making it perfect for any BBQ, family dinner, potluck, or even a quiet night at home. But don’t get me wrong, there isn’t a grilled food I don’t love.
What’s in it?
With a barbecue spice blend rub and a slight drizzle of olive oil, then skewered with green (spring) onions, it’s a perfect bite. Although some people would want to squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice before taking a bite, it’s fine just as it is.
For the barbecue rub spice blend, you can easily find them in any market these days. As for the shrimp, buy it shelled and deveined, then just peel off the shells during prep time.
What I love about this shrimp skewers is that it can be grilled outdoors or on a stove top. Either way, it cooks just as fast.
What compliments it? Try serving it with a side salad, grilled vegetables or corn. Some people love it with cooked rice and a tangy slaw with radish, tomatoes and cucumbers. I like it with grilled vegetables, garlic rice and a simple salad with vinaigrette.
- Presoak the bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes. Make the marinade: In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, barbecue rub, and about 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper. Add the shrimp and toss it together until it is well coated. Set aside.
- Wash the spring onions and dry it with paper towel. You will need only the bottom 5 inches. Cut the roots off, then cut 5 inches from the bottom ends of the spring onions. Cut this part into 1-inch pieces.
- Thread 4 pieces each of shrimp and spring onions into the skewers alternately, starting with the spring onion first. Brush the spring onions with any remaining oil from the marinade.
- Prepare an outdoor grill to medium heat. Grill the skewers for 2-3 minutes. Turn it over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, just until shrimp turns pink and opaque and with a few grill marks. Do not overcook as shrimp will get chewy. If using a stove-top cast iron grill, prepare the grill on medium-high heat and brush the bottom of the grill with canola or vegetable oil. When the grill gets hot, grill the skewers for 2-3 minutes. Turn it over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Arrange skewers in a platter and top with chopped parsley or coriander (cilantro).