I love making this sauteed chickpeas inspired by the Mediterranean flavors of oregano, olive oil, garlic, olives, and red chili flakes. It reminds me of my trip to Italy where I ate my way up through Florence, Pisa, Sienna, Rome, and Venice. The combination of chickpeas with artichokes, tomatoes, and capers makes it a delicious party dip or a satisfying lunch or dinner.
I was looking for something meatless, healthy but satisfying meal one day when I made this. Chickpeas is one of the world’s healthiest foods. It contains fiber, protein, and antioxidants that can lower cholesterol, support digestive tract function, and can regulate blood sugar.
The artichokes here can be canned or frozen. I find both of them at Trader Joe’s and they are so inexpensive. For this dish I prefer using canned or frozen artichokes because the artichoke hearts are already prepared. Some people asked me if they could use fresh artichokes. Anyone who has cooked fresh artichokes before knows it takes a lot of time to clean, cut, and extract the heart of a fresh artichoke. Then it takes more time to steam it or cook it. I steam the fresh artichokes when I am serving it with a dipping sauce or grilling it. If you buy the frozen type, there is no need to thaw. For the canned chickpeas, it is important to rinse it first because it can be slimy. Also, fresh tomatoes are a must here. The sweet flavor of fresh tomatoes just blends well with the other ingredients.
If you are looking for a meatless dish, this sautéed chickpeas is a great choice. The best part is it cooks in just ten minutes. It is perfect for weekday lunch or dinner. It is also great as an appetizer when you are entertaining. Serve it with warmed pita wedges.
Mediterranean Chickpeas with Artichokes and Pita
- 14 oz. canned chickpeas or garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 14 oz. canned artichokes drained and quartered
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 Tbsp olives coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers drained
- dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb pita bread cut in 8 wedges
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion and let cook for 1 minute. Stir in garlic and chili flakes. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes, olives, oregano, capers, chickpeas, and artichokes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook for 5 mins. Turn off heat. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Warm the pita in a griddle or pan for 5 mins. flipping once. Serve pita wedges with chickpeas.