On a cold and rainy day like today I am staying in and making this chicken curry over steamed rice. It’s comfort food and can really warm you up. Adding a variety of vegetables boost up the nutrients in this flavorful dish. The aroma fills up the house that even my dog likes it. Too bad I can’t feed it to him because of the spices in it.
Would you believe there are five different vegetables in here? There is the onion, red bell pepper, chick peas, potatoes and green beans. I’m always thinking of ways to add more healthy nutrients when I cook. The sauce is flavored with garlic, red curry paste, cilantro (coriander) and coconut milk. You can find the Thai red curry paste at the Asian aisle in most supermarkets.
Prepare the Chicken Curry
The process starts with sautéing the ginger, garlic and onion first. Next, add the chicken and let it cook for a few minutes. Then in goes the red curry paste. Add the red bell pepper, potatoes, chick peas, coconut milk and one whole jalapeño pepper (optional). Any chile you prefer will work too. Season it with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to your taste and let it cook covered for twenty-five minutes. Add the green beans at the end and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Make sure the green beans are just tender enough and still have their bright green color.
Some people are intimidated when they see the word “curry” because they think it’s too spicy. The amount of spice can be adjusted to your taste like in this recipe. I made it not too spicy so everyone in my family can appreciate it. If you like it more spicy, go ahead and add more red curry paste or a few slices of your favorite chiles.
Chicken Curry with Chick Peas, Potatoes and Green Beans
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ large onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 cups green beans stemmed, cut in half
- ½ red bell pepper seeded, cut in 1-inch strips
- 1 large gold potato cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 1 can coconut milk 13 oz.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat up the oil in a saute pan on medium heat. Saute the garlic and ginger for 1 minute stirring a few times. Stir in the onion and potatoes and cook it for for another 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and let it cook for 2 minutes stirring once. Stir in the red curry paste. Let it cook for 20 seconds.
- Mix in the red bell pepper, chickpeas, coconut milk and jalapeño pepper (optional). Season it with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste. Cover and let simmer for 23 minutes.
- Add the green beans and cover again. Let it cook for 7-8 minutes just until beans are tender but still have their bright green color. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste. Sprinkle the cilantro on top before serving. Serve with steamed rice.