When its 93C degrees outside it’s the perfect time to make a Cantaloupe Melon Slush. Inspired by my childhood memory of my mother’s fresh melon juice drink, this simple icy concoction is so refreshing and very easy to make.
My mother always made this drink during the summer. Her method involved manually grating the pulp of the melon and they come out as little strings. Adding water to the mix with sugar and ice stretched the number of servings (just like lemonade).
What’s in it
Did I tell you it only has 3 ingredients? It’s got cantaloupe melon, a tiny bit of sugar and a whole lot of ice. Using a blender is important to crush all that ice. No need to add water for a thicker, slushier texture. The optional mint at the end is for garnish.
When buying cantaloupe, pick the one that smells like it’s ripe and sweet. You’ll know that sweet fragrance once you try smelling it at the stem side where it was attached to the vine. Next, cut the melon in half and use a spoon to scrape off the seeds. Then here’s a secret: save those seeds into a fine strainer placed on top of the blender. Notice there is some pulp and juice attached to those seeds? If you press it with a large spoon or rubber spatula, more sweet juice will come out. It is the sweetest juice in the melon.
Making this refreshing slush is one of my favorite ways to beat the heat. Although it’s non-alcoholic, you can easily convert it into a cocktail by adding lime juice and tequila. It even sounds good with mint, vodka and lime juice. Try it and I hope you enjoy it. Happy summer!
Cantaloupe Melon Slush
- ½ large ripe cantaloupe melon cubed
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tray of ice cubes about 14 ice cubes
- fresh mint sprigs OPTIONAL for garnish
- Cut a large melon in half. Use a spoon to scrape the seeds. Put the seeds in a fine strainer placed on top of a blender. Press the seeds with a large spoon or rubber spatula. Some juice will come out and will be saved in the bottom of the blender.
- Reserve 1/2 of melon in the fridge for snack. Cut the other half of melon in cubes and transfer it in the blender. Add in all the ice cubes and sugar. Turn on the blender and mix until thick and slushy.
- Serve immediately with a tiny sprig of mint on top.