On weekends I love to make this satisfying breakfast hash with sausage and eggs. It’s my go to breakfast to get me through the day when I’m running errands and doing chores. It just gives me much needed energy for the busy weekend. When I was growing up, breakfast was a very important meal. My Mom used to make this for us very often.
You can easily make this breakfast hash with just a few ingredients that most people already have in the fridge. You can use store-bought frozen potatoes O’brien, eggs, any sausage you like, and red bell pepper. I like to use potatoes O’brien because it already has the onions and bell pepper in it with the potatoes. You can use turkey or pork breakfast sausage, little smokies, or beef sausage. I like to add a bit more fresh red bell pepper for more color and flavor.
Make the Breakfast Hash
To get started, slice the sausage about 1/2 inch cubes. If you are using small breakfast sausage, just slice them. Next, be sure to use a cast iron skillet or any non-stick oven-proof pan. Then, cook the sausage in a little oil for about three minutes. Set aside the sausage and start cooking the potatoes and red bell pepper for five minutes turning once. Season it lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Crack the eggs on top of the potatoes and sausage. Make sure to season the eggs with a little salt. To finish the cooking process, place the skillet in the oven at 350 degrees. Let it cook for 15 minutes. When it’s ready, the eggs come out perfectly soft.
The best part of making this breakfast hash is the eating part! It’s delicious and satisfying. It will surely fill you up and energize you through a busy day. It gets even better when you serve it with sliced avocado and tomatoes.
Breakfast Hash with Sausage and Eggs
- 2 cups potatoes Obrien frozen
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup breakfast sausage or little smokies, sliced 1/2 long
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 12 mini heirloom tomatoes halved crosswise
- 2 avocados sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a cast iron skillet or oven-proof nonstick pan on medium/high heat. Cook sausage in skillet for 3 minutes turning once. After it cooks, set it aside in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the oil into the skillet. Spread the potatoes Obrien and red bell pepper in the skillet. Let it cook for 3 minutes. Flip it and cook for another 2 minutes. Season it lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper to your taste. Turn off heat.
- Crack the eggs directly on top of the potatoes and sausage. Sprinkle eggs with a bit of salt and pepper. Place skillet in the oven. Let it cook for 15 minutes. Serve with sliced avocado and mini heirloom tomatoes. Season tomatoes with a little salt.