The fresh blueberries I see at the market makes me swoon and bake this blueberry almond cake. I always wanted to bake using an easy recipe and fresh ingredients. This is one of them. For a while I have baked different versions of cake based on this simple method. And always, it comes out moist, delicious and light.
This is the first time I’m using almond flour in baking. I’ve always been curious as to how the texture of the cake would be like. Of course, I’m happy to say that I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s really good!
This breakfast or dessert cake gets its flavor from a mix of vanilla and almond extract, plus a hint of lemon zest. I love using Meyer lemon because of its distinct floral notes and sweet flavor, but you can sub regular lemon. Butter and yogurt makes the blueberry almond cake just delicious and moist.
The method is very easy. Just mix the wet ingredients first and the dry ingredients separately. Then add them together and mix away. At the end fold in the fresh blueberries gently and sprinkle the raw sugar and almonds on top. The raw sugar will caramelize everything on top and make it sweet and crunchy.
Each oven is calibrated differently so baking time for the cake will vary. If the cake comes out still wet in the center just bake it 5-7 minutes longer. When cake is ready, make sure to let it cool completely before slicing. Serve it with coffee for your morning oomph or afternoon tea.
If you like cake, check out my recipe for peach yogurt cake, cranberry orange cake, or spiced pumpkin walnut cake. They are all easy to make and you can bake them when the ingredients are in season. Best of all, they are perfect to serve your guests when you entertain.
Blueberry Almond Cake
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup softened butter + more for greasing
- 1 cup Yoplait vanilla yogurt or Greek vanilla yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 cups fresh blueberries divided
- ½ cup raw sliced almonds
- Butter a 9-inch round springform pan making sure all sides and bottom are well coated. Preheat oven at 350ºF.
- In a bowl sift together flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using a mixer cream together 1/2 cup softened butter and granulated sugar until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla, almond extract and lemon zest and mix together. Scrape the sides and mix again. In 3 batches mix in the flour mixture on low speed until well combined. Scrape the sides and mix again. Add yogurt and mix together. Gently fold in 2/3 cup of blueberries. Pour cake batter into the prepared springform pan. Level the top with a spatula. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup of blueberries. Sprinkle raw sugar and sliced almonds on top. Bake cake in the preheated oven at 350ºF in the middle rack for 50-60 minutes. Check with a toothpick inserted in the center of cake. It should come out dry or with a few dry crumbs. When cake is done transfer springform pan onto a rack to cool. After 10 mins. release the side of the pan and let it cool completely before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar.