I decided to make a succulent bowl garden this winter for my coffee table and dining table. Instead of buying flowers, I thought it would be more practical because it will last longer as it grows. It looks great as a centerpiece on a table. You can even make two of these for a bigger impact.
Combining different succulents that can survive indoors makes for an attractive and interesting mix. Most of the materials here came from what I already have around the house. The pebbles I just picked up outside. To save even more, I used cuttings from succulents that I already have. Here’s how I did it……
round white bowl (9 1/2″ W x 4″ H)
succulent potting mix (or 1/2 sand mixed with 1/2 potting mix)
pebbles (or pea gravel or small rocks)
Make the Succulent Bowl Garden
- Rinse the pebbles or gravel with a hose. Spread a layer of gravel on the bottom of the bowl. This will help the water to drain.
- Fill the bowl with potting mix up to 1/2 inch high from the ream.
- Pull out any leaves on the bottom inch of the succulent stems if using cuttings. If using small plants, shake off some of the soil from the plant bottom being careful not to break roots.
- Start planting succulents from the center going out to the edge. Using a chopstick, poke a hole on the center area of the soil and insert each succulent. Firm the soil around the stem with your fingers as you plant each succulent. Plant 3-5 of each kind in a circular row and insert the other kinds in between. Arrange them according to what is pleasing to your eye.
- Water the soil lightly so as not to have a pool of water on the bottom. Soil should be moist, not soaking wet. Place finished succulent bowl garden in a sunny spot.
As with any garden, this will require a little care. Water only when the top inch of the soil feels dry. Check the soil once a week. Remember that succulents don’t require a lot of water. They have water reserves in their leaves. Overwatering will kill them. Try planting this succulent bowl garden and I’m telling you it’s fun. I enjoy looking at it every time I walk by the dining table.[amazon_link asins=’B01DEUPXAO’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’justsavorit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4506dbc0-f01b-11e7-9486-7d7988131fa9′]