Lavender (or Lavandula) is a fragrant flowering plant in the mint family. It is commonly used for garden and landscape, and as a culinary herb. Its essential oil is used commercially in soaps, candles, lotions, and aromatherapy. The dried flowers can also be used for arrangements. Do you know that lavender attracts butterflies? It can also repel insects like mosquitos, flies, fleas, moths, and scorpions? It’s a good plant to place by your entry door or back patio door.
To grow lavender, all you need is a dry, well-drained soil in full sun. It does not require a lot of water. Here’s what you will need to plant lavender in a pot…..
1 quart size lavender plant (or 1 gallon size)
1 12 inch pot of your choice (with hole in bottom)
1 bag of potting soil or potting mix (Miracle Gro available from )
1 Tbsp of Osmocote or Miracle Gro Granular Plant Food (optional)
a few pieces of small rocks, chards of broken clay pot, or a piece of screen
1. Lay small rocks, chards of broken pot, or a piece of screen in the bottom of the pot. (this will prevent the soil to escape through the hole)
2. Add potting soil or potting mix with a small trowel in the bottom of the pot to about 1/3 full.
3. Place lavender plant centered inside the pot. Make sure the bottom of main stem is at least 1/2 inch below the ream of the pot. If not, add more soil under the plant.
4. Fill in with more potting soil. If you are using potting mix, it already has plant food or fertilizer in the mix. ( no need to add 1 Tbsp of Osmocote or Miracle Gro plant food)
5. Firm the soil with your hands tapping it lightly.
5. Water the soil around the plant well. Place the pot in a sunny location.
6. In the first 6 weeks, water the plant twice a week. Later when the plant is established, water only once a week. When temperatures get too high in the summer, keep an eye on it and water when dry. After blooming, cut the flower stems to encourage more blooms.
This is what it looks like after just one season…..
Lovely isn’t it? Grow lavender in a pot now if you don’t have much space, or if you want to repel bugs, or you just want to enjoy it’s sweet fragrance.